ASSOCIATION of TOURIST ACCOMMODATION of
VOURVOUROU, AGIOS NIKOLAOS, PYRGADIKIA, METAGITSI
“XENIOS ZEUS”

Agios Nikolaos, Halkidiki, Sithonia, Greece
Greek
English
German
Russian

Menu:

Ελληνικός Οργανισμός Τουρισμού

Useful Telephones :

Useful Telephones Public Services


Destinations

AGIOS NIKOLAOS
VOURVOUROU
PYRGADIKIA
METAGITSI
-----------------
HALKIDIKI

 

The history of Ag. Nikolaos Halkidiki

The area of Agios Nikolaos is inhabited since the prehistoric ages. Traces of prehistoric housing have been found southwest of the today village of Vetrinos, and on the Southeast of the village Agios Georgios, as reported to some documents of Athos since 1300. During the same era the area Purgos , North west of the village was inhabited, which during the classical ages developed a civilisation with the name Siggos, whence the Siggitikos bay took its name.

church at Agios Nikolaos, SithoniaThe today village of Agios Nikolaos accrued from the joining of two small settlements: Agios Nikolaos (refugees from Mani) and Agios Georgios (local Macedonians) where the country chapel with the same name is still preserved. The habitants of the two villages create the village to a new site where it is situated today, to which the settlement of Agios Nikolaos gave its name and Saint Georgios became patronsaint of the village.

The habitants of Agios Nikolaos participated to the independence and national battles of Greeks. During the revolution of Chalkidiki in 1823 and the revolution of 1854 with D. Karataso, wheret the total of men population was lost and because of the great offer of the habitants to the battle, the chieftain Karatasos left his banner to the village where it is kept to the community until today.

The offer of the habitants to the independence struggle of 1912 was great, whereas during the occupation of 1941-1945 the habitants participated to the resistance and helped many solders of the Allied Forces with submarines that were coming to the island Diaporo. For this offer of the habitants there is a benedictive of the president of New Zeland that is also kept in the community.